(a) The West Virginia College Prepaid Tuition and Savings Program is continued. The program consists of a prepaid tuition plan and a savings plan.
(b) The Board of the College Prepaid Tuition and Savings Program is continued, and all powers, rights, and responsibilities of the Board of Trustees of the Prepaid Tuition Trust Fund are vested in the Board of the College Prepaid Tuition and Savings Program.
(c) The board consists of eight members and includes the following:
(1) The State Treasurer, or his or her designee;
(2) The State Superintendent of Schools, or his or her designee;
(3) A representative of the Higher Education Policy Commission, who may or may not be a member of the Higher Education Policy Commission, appointed by the commission who serves as a voting member of the board;
(4) A representative of the Council for Community and Technical College Education, who may or may not be a member of the Council for Community and Technical College Education, appointed by the council who serves as a voting member of the board; and
(5) Four other members, appointed by the Governor, with knowledge, skill and experience in an arts, academic, business, or financial field, to be appointed as follows:
(A) Two private citizens not employed by, or an officer of, the state or any political subdivision of the state; and
(B) Two members representing the interests of private institutions of higher education located in this state appointed from one or more nominees of the West Virginia Independent Colleges and Universities.
(d) The members representing the interests of private institutions of higher education are appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate.
(e) Only state residents are eligible for appointment to the board.
(f) Members appointed by the Governor serve a term of five years and are eligible for reappointment at the expiration of their terms. If there is a vacancy among appointed members, the Governor shall appoint a person representing the same interests to fill the unexpired term.
(g) Members of the board serve until the later of the expiration of the term for which the member was appointed or the appointment of a successor. Members of the board serve without compensation. The Treasurer may pay all expenses, including travel expenses, actually incurred by board members in the conduct of their official duties. Expense payments are made from the College Prepaid Tuition and Savings Program Administrative Account, and are made at the same rate paid to state employees.
(h) The Treasurer may provide support staff and office space for the board.
(i) The Treasurer is the chairman and presiding officer of the board, and may appoint the employees the board considers advisable or necessary. A majority of the members of the board constitute a quorum for the transaction of the business of the board.