Member's Press Release
Release Date: 01/26/2020
Contact: Jacque Bland at (304) 357-7999
Senate Calendar and Committee Schedule for Monday, January 27, 2020
Monday, January 27, 2020 – 20th Day of Session
The Senate will convene at 11 a.m.
- SCR 10: Requesting study of current WV laws relating to anti-bullying measures in schools
- SCR 11: Asking Congress call convention for proposing amendments to impose fiscal restraints on federal government
- SR 16: Recognizing 75th anniversary of liberation of Auschwitz and creation of International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- SR 17: Recognizing Leadership Berkeley
- Eng. SB 8: Exempting certain armed forces veterans from payment of fees for license to carry deadly weapon
- Eng. SB 114: Providing continued eligibility for developmental disability services to dependents of military members
- Eng. SB 289: Creating Green Alert Plan
- Eng. Com. Sub. for SB 303: Enacting Students' Right to Know Act
- Eng. Com. Sub. for SB 357: Authorizing Department of Revenue promulgate legislative rules
- Eng. Com. Sub. for SB 364: Authorizing Department of Transportation promulgate legislative rules
- Eng. SB 468: Relating to eligibility for license or permit application
- Eng. Com. Sub. for SB 470: Relating to use of crossbow to hunt
- Eng. Com. Sub. for SB 487: Providing exception that all DNR payments be deposited within 24 hours
- Eng. Com. Sub. for SB 500: Relating to Class Y special crossbow hunting permit
- Eng. Com. Sub. for SB 501: Adding protection, operation of North Bend Rail Trail, Greenbrier River Trail, and Elk River Trail to Parks and Recreation Section of DNR
- Eng. SB 509: Relating to custodial allocation actions independent of divorce
- SB 51: Specifying forms of grandparent visitation
- Com. Sub. for SB 191: Creating felony offense of aggravated cruelty to animals
- Com. Sub. for SB 201: Relating generally to criminal offenses of stalking and harassment
- SB 523: Extending deadline for municipalities to offer Social Security coverage to certain municipal retirement system members
- Com. Sub. for SB 529: Establishing limitations on claims and benefits against state
- Com. Sub. for SB 532: Distributing assets remaining in municipal policemen's or firemen's pension and relief fund on death of last retiree or beneficiary
- Com. Sub. for SB 209: Relating to annexation by minor boundary adjustment
- Com. Sub. for SB 241: Requiring State Board of Education develop method for student transportation costs as stand-alone consideration
- Eng. Com. Sub. for HB 2696: Creating an additional index system for state-owned lands
- Eng. HB 4103: Relating to office of drug control policy (Com. amend. pending)
- Eng. HB 4130: Relating to competitive bidding for government construction contracts arising out of declared states of emergency (Com. amend. pending)
Scheduled Committee Meetings
10 a.m.: Judiciary (208W)
- SB 275: Creating Intermediate Court of Appeals
- Originating Bill: Relating to correcting an incorrect code citation
- SB 485: Relating to Board of Parole
- SB 449: Authorizing Department of Commerce promulgate legislative rules
o SB 449: Dept of Commerce rule relating to small business innovation research and small business technology transfer matching funds program.
o SB 450: Division of Labor rule relating to supervision of plumbing work.
o SB 451: Division of Labor rule relating to regulation of heating, ventilating, and cooling work.
o SB 452: Division of Forestry rule relating to sediment control during timber-harvesting operations-licensing.
o SB 453: Division of Forestry rule relating to sediment control during commercial timber-harvesting operations-logger certification.
o SB 454: Office of Miners' Health, Safety, and Training rule relating to substance abuse screening, standards, and procedures.
o SB 455: Office of Miners' Health, Safety, and Training rule relating to rules governing certification, recertification, and training of EMT-miners and certification of EMT-M instructors.
o SB 456: DNR rule relating to commercial whitewater outfitters.
o SB 457: DNR rule relating to transporting and selling wildlife pelts and parts.
o SB 458: DNR rule relating to boating rule.
o SB 459: DNR rule relating to special boating rule.
o SB 460: DNR rule relating to special requirements concerning boating.
o SB 461: DNR rule relating to public use of campgrounds in WV state parks, forests, and state rail trails under DNR.
o SB 462: DNR rule relating to special projects and grants for WV state parks, forests and rail trails under DNR.
o SB 463: DNR rule relating to defining terms used in all hunting and trapping.
o SB 464: DNR rule relating to prohibitions when hunting and trapping.
o SB 465: DNR rule relating to special fishing rule.
o SB 466: DNR rule relating to catching and selling bait fish.
o SB 467: DNR rule relating to falconry.
- SJR 7: Preserving the Separation of Powers Amendment
- SB 597: Relating to judicial branch members’ salaries and pensions
1 p.m.: Natural Resources (208W)
2 p.m.: Banking and Insurance (451M)
- SB 508: Removing mandate Board of Risk and Insurance Management purchase liability insurance for Division of Corrections
- SB 545: Authorizing transfer of moneys from Insurance Commission Fund to Workers' Compensation Old Fund
- Discussion: SB 305, Exempting certain nonpaid volunteers from workers' comp benefits
- SB 279: Requiring dental insurance plans honor assignment made in writing by person covered.
3 p.m.: Judiciary (208W)
3 p.m.: Finance (451M)
- Budget Presentation: West Virginia Department of Commerce
- Budget Presentation: West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety
Senate Bills introduced on January 27th, 2020
Committee Action on Bills from Friday, January 24, 2020
3 p.m.: Judiciary (208W)
- SB 208: Protecting consumers from unfair pricing practices during state of emergency
- Bill referred to subcommittee; Cline (R-Wyoming), Jeffries (D-Kanawha), Clements (R-Wetzel) appointed
- SB 339: Authorizing Department of Health and Human Resources to promulgate legislative rules – includes SB 339: DHHR rule relating to public water systems; SB 340: DHHR rule relating to permit fees; SB 341: DHHR rule relating to vital statistics; SB 342: DHHR rule relating to emergency medical services; SB 343: DHHR rule relating to primary care center uncompensated care grants; SB 344: DHHR rule relating to primary care seed money grants; SB 345: DHHR rule relating to medical cannabis program general provisions; SB 346: DHHR rule relating to medical cannabis program growers/processors; SB 347: DHHR rule relating to medical cannabis program laboratories; SB 348: DHHR rule relating to medical cannabis program dispensaries; SB 349: DHHR rule relating to medical cannabis safe harbor letter; SB 350: DHHR rule relating to collection and exchange of data relating to overdoses; SB 351: DHHR rule relating to minimum licensing requirements for residential child care and treatment facilities; SB 352: DHHR rule relating to qualifications for provisional license to practice as social worker within DHHR; SB 353: DHHR rule relating to pilot program for drug screening of applicants for cash assistance; SB 354: Health Care Authority rule relating to critical care access hospitals
- Committee substitute reported to the full Senate with the recommendation that it do pass
- SB 275: Creating Intermediate Court of Appeals
- Bill discussed, but no action taken; to be continued Monday
Bills that Have Passed the Senate as of Friday, January 24, 2020 (19)
Resolutions Adopted by the Senate as of Friday, January 24, 2020 (4)
- SCR 1: Designating dogs adopted from animal shelters and rescues as WV official state dog (House Agriculture and Natural Resources)
· SCR 2: Requesting Frederick County, Virginia, consider becoming part of State of West Virginia (House Rules)
· SCR 3: US Army MSG Richard A. "Dick" Smoot Memorial Bridge (House Transportation and Infrastructure)
· SCR 4: Urging Congress call convention to propose amendment on congressional term limits (House Judiciary)
Bills that Have Completed Legislation as of Friday, January 24, 2020 (1)
- SB 94: Providing persons with physical disabilities ability to vote by electronic absentee ballot (Completed; Awaiting action by Governor)
Committee times and agendas are subject to change. Follow @WVSenClerk on Twitter for updates.
All Senate Committee meetings and floor sessions are available for both live streaming and to watch again in our archives. The link to the Senate’s archived video page can be found here: http://sg001-harmony.sliq.net/00289/Harmony/en/View/UpcomingEvents.